Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Puttachi Speak

I can't remember the last time I gave you Puttachi updates. The only update these days is how MUCH she talks. And understands, and communicates.

Here are a few snippets of conversation.

NOTE: Our entire conversation is in Kannada. If I try to write everything as she speaks, I will have to translate her words first into intelligible Kannada, and then into English for non-Kannada readers. So I am directly giving you the English version, with some exceptions.

****

Out of the blue, Puttachi walks up to the shoe stand with purpose, takes her sandals and walks up to the door, her stuffed chimpanzee tucked under one arm. She starts putting on her sandals (Btw, she can put on her sandals herself now.)

Me: Puttachi, what's the matter? Where are you going?
She: (looking at me with all earnestness and concern) Chimpanzee has got hurt. I am taking it to the doctor.

I wonder what she would have done had I opened the door and let her go!

*****

She: Amma, come, dance with me!
Me: I can't dance today, Puttachi, I have a tummy ache. You dance alone.
She: (immediately stops dancing, comes to me, sits cross-legged, pulls my head on to her tiny lap, pats my head.) Poor Amma is hurt.. go to sleep now. (And she "sings" a lullaby)

****

Sound of an aeroplane is heard. Puttachi strains to see it in the sky, but cannot spot it.
She: Aeroplane modad hinde bachitkondbittide. [Aeroplane is hiding behind the clouds.]

*****

Her first story:

Me: Puttachi, tell me a story.
She: Once upon a time there lived a baby. Baby said "Aaaaa!".... Then... Baby went round and round. Then baby went zoommmmmm. Then..... baby went to bed.

****

Me: ... And this is a rhino's horn.
She: Peem peem?

****

She does something cute, and overcome with love, I squeeze her tight and give her hard kisses on her cheeks.

She: (Frowning and pulling away.) Don't do that! It hurts! (Wags her index finger at me.) Now come on, stroke my cheek and say sorry!

****

S~: (Trying to entertain her with one of her favourite songs).
She: (Frowns) You don't sing! Let Amma sing.

****

Me: Puttachi, don't come close to me. I have a needle in my hand. It might prick you.
She: Like a porcupine?

****

She: (Drinking milk, points to the froth). What is this?
Me: Froth. There is air inside those little bubbles.
She: Like the air that comes from the fan?

****

She: (Says something unintelligible) Baathish.
Me: What did you say?
She: Baathish.
Me: Say it again, what is it? Show it to me, where is it?
She: (vehemently) Baathish
Me: (puzzled and helpless look)
She: Gottagtaillva? (Aren't you able to understand?)

****

She: (Eating cashews)
ME: Puttachi, give me some cashews, please?
She: (Gives me two) Eat them one by one, and chew them well, okay?

****

Me: (showing her a book on pandas) Look, this is a bamboo tree.. what is the Panda doing there? (I expect the reply, "Panda is climbing up the tree.")
She: Panda is climbing DOWN the tree.
Me: (We and our stunted thinking!)

****

S~ has gone out to buy, among other things, Rajma.
She: Where is Papa?
Me: He has gone to the shop.
She: To buy bread?
Me: No, to buy beans.
She: (thinks for a while.) Papa will bring the beans home and Amma will throw them away.
Me: What?
She repeats.
Me: Why will Amma throw them away?
She: Amma will throw the beans away. Like this. (And makes a throwing action).
Now I wondered why on earth she thinks that I will throw away the beans... I wondered.. until it hit me. Jack and the Beanstalk. Jack brings home beans and his "amma" throws them away... So here, S~ brings home beans, and "amma" will throw them away!

****

She: (sees the picture of a waterfall in a book) What is this?
Me: You tell me what it is?
She: "Down".
Me: ??
She: Down. And she makes a falling action with her hands.
Then I get it. "We all fall down" at the end of "Ring-a-ring-a-roses.". Water fall. Fall down. And so Down. Get it?

****

She: (Confiscating a ball lying in the park.)
Me: Puttachi, the ball belongs to that little boy, give it back to him.
She: Who?
Me: That little boy in the red shirt.
She: A red shirt, like the red shirt that Pooh wears?

****

I am in my mom's place, and I take her to the bathroom to give her a bath. She has just started recognizing and naming colours, and so she is thrilled to see that the bathroom is entirely in blue.

She: (points to the washstand) "Boo!" (To the commode) "Boo!" (The floor tiles) "Boo!" (To the wall tiles) "Boo!" (To the bucket) "Boo!"
(Then she points to the pink mug, and stops short. She picks it up in her hand with a frown of puzzlement.) "Amma, the mug is pink. Why?"

****

Yet, yet - her speech remains terribly unclear. Extreme baby-talk. I am kind of thankful for that. With all this talking, if her speech was also clear, my baby would not be a baby any longer! :)

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww so cute. She appears to be a very intelligent girl. Awesome visual memory power too.

Its hard to imagine how kids grow up so fast.

Lakshmi

Keshav.Kulkarni said...

I donno how may times I have written similar comments, but I can't stop. Your writing reminds me of my son who did all these just a few months ago. You write brilliantly, and keep it up.

Keshav (www.kannada-nudi.blogspot.com)

Abhipraya said...

aaaaw Shruthi! She's such a darling. Give her a big hug from me will ya? And tell her I love her first story :D

Dhanya said...

WOW cute Puttachi again :)
She speaks so much and so intelligently :)

Veena Shivanna said...

wow! so cute. Particularly the water fall one :-)
Your writing skills makes it more interesting to read. I was looking out for few more shruthi.

praneshachar said...

abba what a great sequence of talks really cool thanks shruthi for putting it here after a hectic days work at office it was a soother
enjoyed each and every talk
cashew eat one after one and chew well is classic one
enjoy puttachi talking in the same fashion some more time once talk is clear u will not enjoy any how all phases have to be there in life
pranesh

anoop said...

I liked her first story the best :)
but, i tell you, it would have been so much more enjoyable if you had written the transliterated version of kannada words too.

Supremus said...

Loved her story!! Exactly the story I am likely to tell my kids :D :D

Prashanth M said...

ROTFLMAO... I like this one much --
She: Gottagtaillva? (Aren't you able to understand?)

Shruthi said...

Hahahahaha. I liked this best - Rhino’s horn. Peem peem? Lol .Of course, her story, loved it. She is the smartest kid!
But it would be delightful to read what she says in Kannada :)

Mangala said...

So precious! I loved that panda climbing down the tree angle she came up with hahaha. I'm sure she'll adore reading these snippets about herself when she grows up :)

LAK said...

Loved the rhino horn! And the panda climbing down---see, she's thinking out of the box already! Do keep a hard copy of all this!The pleasure of seeing one's baby's thoughts---!

Sudhakar said...

Cute :)

Chitra said...

Tee hee! Sakkath colour chamakku :D ! OLLe photographic memory though :)!

Dhriti said...

Sooooooo Sweeeeet.
I like her story n also the down thing. Very intelligent.
Btw, hows ur friend now?

Viky said...

Mosa! I do some of these things myself, and people say I'm making up PJ's... :P

:D

Jaanamari's appa said...

just not enough heh heh hope u keep this going like a series

one from my boy:

we were watching a horse, this fellow had lots of flies hovering around his mouth...

ಅಪ್ಪ ಅಪ್ಪ, horsie ನೊಣ ತಿಂತಾಯಿದ್ಯ?

is the horsie eating flies?

Amal Bose said...

sooooo cute...
liked her first story..
u must be really proud.. :-)

Shark said...

Awwwww that was a very cute posts. Its going to be a treasure for her when she grows up and reads these.. :-)

Mama - Mia said...

she is a genius, isnt she?!

LOVED the way she thinks so quick and logical and yet out of the box! just too cute!

hugs to her!

abha

rajk said...

I could write ROTFL for each one of the "stories"!! Amazing, amazing!

- -